Saturday, February 5, 2011

So What Really Makes Me Toms?

As a child, I always had to have a pair of shoes on because I was born with congenital heart disease (I had open-heart surgery at the age of three and multiple other procedures throughout my life). Any type of "bad" cut or sore could be a potential danger to my heart and blood stream. Although I understood the danger of not wearing shoes, I didn't care.

                             
I hated wearing shoes.         

My mom would continuously make me put on shoes. She would yell, scream, and beg! But, I was as stubborn as they get.

Today, I realize how privileged I was – and still am – that I even had the option of wearing shoes, nonetheless owning multiple pairs of shoes. That is why I am so passionate about this brand. Thinking back on my childhood, I thought it was so terrible to wear shoes. Although I was innocent and naive, how could I complain about this luxury when so many children yearn to own merely one pair of shoes?

I understand the precautions one must take when dealing with diseases. Being careful has epitomized my entire life. Therefore, if spreading diseases can diminish simply by wearing shoes, I am, by all means, one hundred percent behind this wonderful cause.

Toms is an unique brand that campaigns for an extraordinarily important cause. I, too, believe that I am an unique person. Because I was able to live a normal, healthy life after my surgery and procedures –  in my sophomore and junior year of high school – I began speaking for the American Heart Association. I spoke to share my story, my miracle of life. By doing so, I was able to raise money for the AHA. My every intention was to help further cardiac research and spread the awareness that this disease is not just an old man's disease. It affects children, too. In more ways than even imaginable. 

Children are so incredibly important to me. They are our hopes for a better future. I understand how it feels to be different. No child should need to feel that way. Toms helps make everyone feel special, loved and accepted. And, that is my passion: spreading acceptance, even if it's simply by giving a pair of shoes to a shoeless child.

No comments:

Post a Comment