Thursday, April 21, 2011

"That's So Gay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IcRQssVllA

Although I showed this advertisement in class, I felt the need to share it again. The moment I saw this on t.v., I was simply blown away. Normally, ads are made purely for the company to profit from its product; however, this is a very different type of advertisement. Instead of selling a product, Wanda Sykes, the spokesperson – is selling an idea – the idea that saying "That's so gay" is not only not funny, but also extremely offensive. As I said, this type of ad is rarely made and is rarely run on television. I can not remember the date or television station I saw it air on, but I do know that it was during primetime television. The fact that people are willing to spend money to spread awareness for a great cause makes me feel extremely thankful for the advertisement business. Too often a company sells a product only for money; too little does it actually care about its consumers. Not only was this ad not intended to gain profit, but it also was made to explain the importance of accepting everyone for who he are she is. And, to me, there is nothing more wonderful than spreading equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment