Monday, April 25, 2011

The Tragedy of Eating Disorders

One of the worst diseases is an eating disorder. It completely takes over the brain, eats away at one's heart and soul, and controls one's every action. When I saw this advertisement, I was certainly "wowed." It illustrates everything that an eating disorder does to a person.

This ad, a PSA for eating disorders, is disgusting. But, it is extremely necessary. Without the hard, cold truth, the message would not be portrayed as effectively. I feel it is so necessary to show such a vivid picture because it is the reality behind this disturbing disease. Yes, it is of the stereotypical blond, anorexic girl . . . but, is there really no better way to illustrate this disease than to associate it with the stereotype that people think of when they hear the word anorexic? Normally, I am not a fan of stereotypes, but I feel it works to the ads' benefit for this illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment